Monday 23 May 2016

My Short Story

For this piece of writing I have focusing on my vocabulary and punctuation. I have been learning to:
  • Use a large productive vocabulary across the curriculum. (Year 9/10)
  • Use a wide range of punctuation appropriately and with increasing accuracy. (Year 9/10)


The pieces of my writing that are highlighted green are where I have shown my vocabulary and punctuation goal.

Outside My Window

Outside my window there's people; people I don't know; people who could hurt me. I don't want anyone to see me, they don't need to see me. If I don't go outside I don't need to worry about that, inside is where I feel like I belong, inside is where I should be! I've always wanted to play netball but to do that I need to go outside, so I try not to think about it, that way I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I like to play cards but that can get really boring when that's all you play everyday.

I can hear my chair creaking as I move, I can see the Lightning as it passes by, I feel like if I just reach my hand out the window I could feel it, feel what the outside world looks like. I unexpectedly hear someone laughing outside my window. There's two girls walking past, I wonder what's it's like to be them (I feel so jealous). I suddenly have the urge to go outside, I want to feel what it's like to walk along the slippery footpath, to feel what it's like to walk in the rain. But I can't I'm too scared. If I go outside anything could happen I could trip and hurt myself or I could even run into someone, just imagine how embarrassing that would be! ‘But you could do any of that inside as well!’ Wow who said that I think ‘I did’ there it goes again. Umm who are you I think repeatedly. ‘I'm your inner voice’ it says. Umm okay, what do you want. ‘Well I'm just saying that you could easily trip over or bang into someone else inside.’ Hey you're right I think. “I am going to go outside” I shout too loudly.

I get to the doorknob, I stand there looking at it for what feels like a lifetime. Do I move, or do I not move. ‘All you have to do is take two steps and you’ll be outside’ says my inner voice. ‘Now just open the door’ it says (I am starting to get sick of my inner voice telling me to do the right thing!). Okay I can do this I think to myself, I close my eyes and open the door without even realising. I take two steps and imagine myself still inside. ‘Open your eyes!’ Says my inner voice. I slowly open one eye after the other I turn around and look at the front door I left wide open, I did it I say to myself. I wander further into street, I did it I'm outside and I'm not scared anymore!

From that moment on I go outside everyday; as a matter of fact I'm even applying to a netball club, so that I can play netball! I realise now that I don't have to feel scared anymore whatever I need to overcome I can do it, well me and my inner voice can overcome it!

No comments:

Post a Comment