Wednesday 1 June 2016

I have a large vocabulary that is connected to my own knowledge about the world.

Year 9/10: I have a large vocabulary that is connected to my own knowledge about the world.


Name of Text: Underground Explorers

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 11.04.46 am.png
Definitions
Void: an empty space or vacuum.

Fluorescent: able to give off visible light after being exposed to a source of heat, light, or other form of energy

Vulnerable: able to be hurt or injured

Interconnected: to connect or cause to be connected one to the other or others.

Seldom: not often; rarely.

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 11.04.46 am.png
Example/Non Example
Is a void messy? Why or why not?
Now because it's just an empty space which nobody puts stuff in.
Which color is the most fluorescent at night? Why?
Green because you can still see it after the effect has worn off.
Why are elderly people more vulnerable than children? Why?
Because they are more fragile than us as they don't have the ability to move as fast as us.
Which is more interconnected; a vine or a dandelion? Why?
A vine because it is connected to a tree and the other vines.
Which is more seldom; the Olympics or an election in NZ? Why?
The Olympics because it is every four years and elections can happen every three years.

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 11.04.50 am.png
Word Associations
The plants in the garden are die during a frost
Vulnerable
There were lots of different paths that joined each other
Interconnected
I made a shot from halfway while facing backwards.
Seldom
We are still exploring  outer space.
Void
I can find my key ring easily in the dark.
Fluorescent

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 11.04.50 am.png
Word Relationships

How might each pair of words be connected?
Vulnerable/Fluorescent
They are connected because if you are vulnerable you have to be careful of what might happens which means it may only happen rarely and if something is fluorescent it only happens a few times.
Void/interconnected
They are connected because you could be connected to something in the empty space and if you are interconnected then you are connected to something.

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 11.04.50 am.png
Extended Writing
Think of a time when you felt as though you were in a void or when you saw something that happens seldom. Write a paragraph about this.
Once I was walking past a basketball court and I saw someone shooting from the other end of the court and they got it in. It was so cool and when I tried my ball didn't even hit the hoop. When I got home that day I would keep going to the basketball court trying to get it in but I never did.

No comments:

Post a Comment